What goes together like love and marriage? Trout and rosé, of course! To push out the boat a little for this Valentine’s Day, chef Mynhardt Joubert suggests serving his gorgeous creation below with KWV’s equally lush Shiraz Rosé. It’s a lot easier to make than it looks, so don’t be daunted! Just follow the steps and you’ll be fine.
The various elements for the dish can be prepared in advance, Mynhardt says, leaving you cool, calm and collected when your date arrives.
The KWV Classic Collection Shiraz Rosé has a beautiful pink salmon colour, with aromas of roses, candy and strawberries and hints of Turkish delight. With a soft acidity and luxurious creamy finish, it’s a dream to sip with trout and salmon! (Remember that if you want to make a good impression, yeah?)
Pan-fried Trout with ginger mash and beetroot spaghetti
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced – keep in a bowl of water until using, to prevent it going brown
2 T (30ml)butter, slightly softened
1 heaped T (about 60ml) pickled ginger, sliced very finely
beetroot spaghetti – spiralized raw beetroot, found in the vegetable section’s fridge at your supermarket. Can’t find this? Follow SONIA’S TIP: If you can’t get beetroot spaghetti, slice three small peeled beetroots in half and boil with your pastawater before adding pasta to cook, or add 1 cup (250 ml) beetroot juice to the pasta water and cook as usual before draining.)
1 T (15ml) of olive oil
2 x 200g salmon trout fillets
5 T (75 ml) KWV Classic Collection Shiraz Rosé
5 T (75 ml) chicken stock
1/2 cup plus 5 T (200ml) cream
100g pickled sliced baby beetroot
organic, unsprayed rose petals and beetroot salad sprouts for garnish
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat. Mash until smooth, then add the butter and mash till blended. Stir in the pickled ginger, season with salt and keep warm until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and toss the beetroot spaghetti in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, season with salt and pepper and remove from pan with slotted spoon. Set aside until needed. (If using standard spaghetti, cook with beetroot juice first, drain and toss in pan in hot oil as described before.)
- Rub both sides of the fish with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear the salmon trout fillets skin down first in the pan over medium high heat, cooking 2 minutes a side. Remove from the pan and keep warm till needed.
- Bring the rosé and chicken stock to the boil in the same pan. Add cream and reduce by half or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add sliced baby beetroot to the sauce, then simmer gently for two minutes.
- To plate: start with the ginger mash. Arrange the beetroot spaghetti on that and top with the trout. Spoon some sauce over each portion.
- Garnish with rose petals and beetroot sprouts.
- Serve with well-chilled KWV Classic Collection Shiraz Rosé.
Reasonably priced at R52.99, the KWV Classic Rose wine is available from liquor outlets nationwide.
Join the conversation on facebook.com/KWVWines and Twitter: @KWVWines