Everyone has their favourite burger and since two days ago, this is mine. Make it as spicy or mild as you like, and go wild with the toppings.
My preferred version is chicken burger-with-everything.
This truly is the chicken burger of your dreams!
650g deboned chicken thighs
1 sweet red pepper, deseeded and white pith cut away
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 T (30 ml) olive oil
Bunch of chives
Salt & pepper to taste
2 t (10ml) Robertsons Roast Potato seasoning, or spice blend of your choice
Approximately 1 cup (250 ml) breadcrumbs, or more as required
6 hamburger rolls
Melted butter, to brush on inside of toasted rolls
250g streaky bacon, fried until crisp
1 avocado, sliced
1 tub (150g) Ashton’s cream or crème fraîche
2 T (30ml) soft blue cheese
Woolworths’ peppadew salsa or chutney
Offenau Sweet and sour gherkins, sliced lengthways
1. Preheat the oven to160 C. Pulse onion and sweet pepper together in your food processor until very finely minced. Cook in the olive oil until softened.
2. Roughly chop deboned chicken thighs and also pulse in food processor until finely minced. (No need to clean out the processor bowl first.)
3. Transfer chopped chicken to a mixing bowl. Add cooked onion and sweet pepper, finely snipped chives, egg, breadcrumbs and seasoning. Use your hands to mix thoroughly, making sure the ingredients are evenly dispersed throughout the hamburger mixture. If it seems a bit dense or sticky, add more breadcrumbs 1 T (15 ml) at a time until mixture feels looser but still clumps together.
4. Form into 6 equal-sized patties and let rest for 15 minutes while you prepare the toppings and cook the chips. Mix the Ashton’s cream (you can also use crème fraîche) with the blue cheese until smooth and spoon into a small serving bowl.
5. Fry the patties in shallow oil over medium heat until nicely browned on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper, then keep warm on a baking tray in the oven for 15-20 minutes while you set out the toppings on attractive serving plates or in bowls. Toast the hamburger buns and brush with melted butter inside.
6. Let everyone assemble their own burgers with layers of rocket, chicken patties, blue cheese cream, bacon, avo, salsa and pickles, with hot fries on the side.
Smash down and feed your face!