The Spier Signature Chardonnay Pinot Noir was simply made for easy summertime sipping.
Unpretentious, beautifully balanced and full of flair, it marries strawberry and apple flavours with a crisp finish. It’s delightful at brunch, on a picnic, or just for you alone with a good book. The Spier winemaking team recommends combining it with fresh strawberries and thyme to create a granita: a luscious, delicately flavoured frozen dessert. Think wine Slush Puppy and you’re almost there!
The perfect show-stopper to a lavish dinner, this granita is a scintillating palate cleanser when served during a multi-course feast.
The hardest part is remembering to make the granita a day ahead, as it needs to spend at least overnight in the freezer!
Spier Signature Chardonnay Pinot Noir Granita:
• 250 ml (1 cup) Spier Chardonnay Pinot Noir
• 1/2 cup regular white sugar
• 4 sprigs thyme
• 250 g fresh strawberries, stalks/hulls removed
• a squirt of fresh lemon juice
1. Place half the wine in a small saucepan with the sugar and thyme. Heat to the beginning of a simmer, then remove the pan from the heat, swirling until the sugar has dissolved.
2. In a blender, add the remaining wine, strawberries and lemon juice. Remove the thyme sprigs from the hot syrup mixture, then add the syrup to the blender. Blend on high speed to a very smooth pulp.
3. Transfer to a wide plastic container, cover with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate overnight (or longer, but not less than 8 hours). The granita will never freeze completely due to the alcohol and sugar content.
4. At serving time, quickly use a fork to scrape the granita into the desired number of glasses.
About the Spier Signature Chardonnay Pinot Noir:
This salmon-coloured summertime sipper is elegant, unpretentious and beautifully balanced, marrying strawberry and apple flavours with a crisp finish. Whether you need a tipple for brunch, paella dinner, a picnic — or simply something to enjoy while reading in the sun — this sublime Spier Signature Chardonnay/ Pinot Noir adds understated flair to any occasion.
Available from Spier’s tasting room and leading retailers or order online for delivery to your door: shop.spier.co.za